Dr. Freel was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. He attended Jesuit High School before departing for Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, for undergraduate studies. He returned to New Orleans where he received his medical degree from Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans in 2003.
He completed a General Surgery residency at LSUHSC in New Orleans. During this time, he completed a one year research fellowship in surgical outcomes as the inaugural research fellow for the American College of Surgeons Clinical Scholars Program in Chicago, Illinois where he also completed graduate coursework at Northwestern University. He then returned to New Orleans to finish his Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship at LSUHSC, where he was the Chief Resident from 2010 – 2011.
- Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery since 2012 with continuous maintenance of certification
- Board certified by the American Board of Surgery since 2009
- Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member of the Louisiana Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (F.A.C.S.)
- Assistant Clinical Professor Louisiana State University Health Sciences Division of Plastic Surgery
- Recently named as one of Baton Rouge’s “Forty under 40” professionals by the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report.